NOTE: This is last week’s workout – click here for the CrossFit Open Workout 20.5.
The fourth workout of the CrossFit Open 2020 has been announced.
This is the fourth of 5 weekly workouts for the CrossFit Open 2020.
The CrossFit Open Workout 20.4 details are below.
It’s a chipper with a 20 minute time cap! And Single Leg Squats!
Jason Carroll, Sean Sweeney, Ben Smith (2015 CrossFit Games Champion) were at the live announcement at Diablo CrossFit.
Notably, this is the first time that pistol squats (one-legged squats) have appeared in the Open. What an unpleasant surprise!
CrossFit Open Workout 20.4 : Rx
Details to be announced on Thursday 10/31 at 5PM PST/8PM EST.
Remember, scores must be submitted by 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific on Monday November 4th.
Please reference the official CrossFit Open Rules as needed.
Official movement standards for Workout 20.4
CrossFit Workout 20.4 scorecard
See more details at the Scorecard page for Open Workout 20.4.
Here’s some tips on movement and correct form for 20.4:
(Coming Soon – see workout standards for now)
CrossFit Open Workout 20.4: Rx’d (Ages 16-54)
Women: 20-in. box, single-leg squat, C&J 65-85-115-145-175-205
Men: 24-in. box, single-leg squat, C&J 95-135-185-225-
CrossFit Open Workout 20.4: Scaled (Scaled Ages 16-54)
Women: 20-in. box, 14-lb. medicine-ball step-up, C&J 35-55-75-
Men: 24-in. box, 20-lb. medicine-ball step-up, C&J 65-95-
CrossFit Open Workout 20.4: Teenagers 14-15
Women: 20-in. box, single-leg squat, C&J 35-55-75-95-105-115
Men: 24-in. box, single-leg squat, C&J 65-95-115-135-155-185
CrossFit Open Workout 20.4: Scaled Teenagers 14-15
Women: 20-in. box, 14-lb. med-ball step-up, C&J 35-45-65-75-
Men: 24-in. box, 20-lb. med-ball step-up, C&J 45-65-85-105-
CrossFit Open Workout 20.4: Masters 55+
Women: 20-in. box, 14-lb. med-ball step-up, C&J 65-75-95-105-
Men: 24-in. box, 20-lb. med-ball step-up, C&J 95-115-135-
CrossFit Open Workout 20.4: Scaled Masters 55+
Women: 16-in. box, 14-lb. med-ball step-up, C&J 35-45-65-75-
Men: 20-in. box, 20-lb. med-ball step-up, C&J 45-65-85-105-
CrossFit Open Workout 20.4: Equipment & Gear
- Box of appropriate height for your division (the top of
the box must be at least 15-by-15 inches)
- Barbell – Use a bearing bar if at all possible – the smooth spin makes C&J easier.
- Standard bumper plates (18-in. diameter) to load to the
appropriate weight for your division
- Medicine ball (scaled divisions)
- Collars to secure the plates on the barbell
- Lifting Belt – a low-profile Olympic weightlifting style belt is going to help in this workout. You can see from the pictures that Ben Smith put one on for the heaviest cleans.
- Lifters – Weightlifting shoes may help especially in the pistol squats – but also for the clean and jerk. Sean Sweeney donned a pair of “lifters” for his final heavy rep.
- Knee sleeves – Tight fitting, neoprene knee sleeves may be helpful for the high repetition cleans.
- Wrist bands/Head Bands – as with every competition workout – there’s a lot of sweat that can mess with your grip.
CrossFit Open Workout 20.4 Strategy and Tips Guide
Here’s some 20.4 tips and tricks to get your best score possible:
- This includes 90 reps of Box Jumps – this is a lot of volume early on – so establish a conservative pace. Step up or step down for all reps as high repetition rebounds have caused achilles heel tendon issues in past events!
- Similarly, there’s a lot of single leg squats/pistol squats. Ben Smith commented that this made the clean and jerk that much more challenging.
- For the clean and jerk – use the form that allows you to most efficiently do the rep. This means avoid a full squat clean until you must use it. Power cleans and split cleans are permitted.
- Hook grip is recommended for the clean and jerk – especially considering the high volume in a short time period.
We’re a Rogue Fitness affiliate – so if you order equipment after clicking the links in this article we receive monetary compensation. But that’s not why we recommend Rogue. It’s because their equipment is tough, durable, well-made, and offers the “best of the best”. Their innovative designs and diversity of options make your training better – allowing you to reach your personal goals faster. And that’s why we love them.
- Some product imagery on this page is property of Rogue Fitness and provided by Rogue Fitness.
- This website is not affiliated or associated with CrossFit, Inc. CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit, Inc.